All material copyright David G. Best 2002 - 2009 All Rights Reserved.
Produced at the Wellington Works. Early versions had ornate castings with scrolls and moulded detail, the primitive bobbin winder was mounted towards the top of the oil guard, with the tension discs being mounted on top of the arm (illustrated right). These machines had no take-up lever instead the thread passed through the top of the needle bar which as it rose pulled thread from the bobbin.
The Wellington was improved with Bradbury's patent self-acting bobbin winder and by 1880 the Company's patent "fast and loose" balance wheel had been added. Note in this context fast meant fixed not speed!
By about machine 6000 a take-up lever had been added and the castings had been simplified although the tension discs remained on top of the arm until about 1882.
The face plate was embossed with " The Wellington, Bradbury & Co Ltd Est. 1852 Wellington Works".This wording was later changed to "Patent Lock Stitch Hand Machine" although the cover was still made in brass. Eventually the face plate was changed to steel, for a very short period a thin plate like the brass ones was used then it was folded round the sides.
Around 1882 the machines were supplied in a plain Deal case, a superior version of this with lock and drawer was available as was one of polished Walnut. An ornamental stand could also be purchased.
Early Models had a flower decal on the bed, later a picture of the factory was used this was then replaced with the "Duke" Trade Mark.
Badged machines were also produced, for example for the C.W.S, London Branch, their model was called the "Progress".
In 1878 the Wellington cost £4 by January 1884 this had risen to £4 4s
but by 1895 it cost only £2.
Photographs of Wellington Machines
INDEX of BRADBURY SEWING MACHINES
CLICK on a CAPTION