Vickers Ltd famous for armament production started producing sewing machines on a small scale during World War One at Hackney Wick, London employing interned German civilians who were paid the standard British wages for this type of work. The machines produced were improved versions of the Frister & Rossman Family V.S. and were available as hand or treadle machines and later an electric model was introduced.
At the end of World War One production was moved to the company's Crayford Works and continued until the early 1950's albeit with a break during World War Two. The machines where originally wholesaled through W. Pierssene and from around 1952 they were sold by British Sewing Machines Ltd.
Vickers Modele de Luxe: Serial No. C1-15065.
The Model de Luxe was introduced in 1919 and this machine was probably made around 1920.
The centre decal has a V inside a crown.
BSM: Serial No. 7/009021.
Made for British Sewing Machines Ltd, London by Vickers in the early 1950's, this model was also produced with a white, blue or yellow body. Early production examples carry the Vickers name as well as the B.S.M. logo.
This machine is in reasonable condition but has long since lost its cover, the machine was designed so it could be used as a treadle with holes in the base for the treadle belt to pass through. Over 32,000 of this model were produced.
The firm also produced an electrically operated rotary hook machine as well as an oscillating shuttle machine designated Type No. 3 A.
British Sewing Machines Ltd was known to be operating until at least 1954 and had premises at Lombard Road, Morden Road, London SW19.